Sunday, March 10, 2013

It's All in the Wrapping

This past week for my packaging class we were assigned to redesign the classic Hershey's Milk Chocolate wrapper and turn it into a self promotional item that we could give to prospective interviewers after interviewing for a job. I found it funny that his would be our assignment the week after someones chocolate bar resume went viral. This had already been part of the syllabus so it an attempt to copy that story.
This picture is slightly different than the one we were supposed to redesign. 
The design itself was quite easy to do. I was able to find an Hershey's font called Hurshey's which resembled that Hershey's logo closely enough. The Milk Chocolate font below the logo was problematic as I could never find one that was in the same style so I settled on using Kefa for that. The nutrition information parts were simple as well though I didn't have access to the correct Helvetica Black font for parts of it so had to modify one of the Helvetica fonts I had. Overall I am pretty happy with what I did on the project.

My Design which can be found on my Deviantart account
The final part of the assignment required us to print the wrapper and then put it on a candy bar. When looking at Walmart (which I try to avoid) there was not one Hershey's chocolate bar anywhere in the store. I soon checked a few gas stations and found the same thing. Lots of Hershey's bar but instead of the classic wrapping it is now enclosed in the plastic wrapping found on most other chocolate bars.

After a little research online I found that Hershey's had changed their packaging all the way back in 2003. I guess that goes to show how much I buy candy. I ended up purchasing one of the bars wrapped in plastic and covered it with foil to complete the assignment.

I remember when I was a kid that a Hershey's bar was different then getting any of the other chocolate bars. The packaging made it seem special. I could also wrap the chocolate back up if I didn't want to eat the whole thing. Now that it is wrapped in plastic it is just another bar of chocolate on the shelf. There is nothing special about it anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment